Thursday, September 25, 2008

This is the first time in a while that I can actually log onto the computer and have some time to write. Baby is finally sleeping peacefully beside me... Today has been a rough day so far. She first woke up around 7:45am and had a snack and went back to sleep for about an hour. Then she was up till about noon fussing. Not constantly but it was like one thing lead to another: first she was hungry so we had a bottle; then she had her diaper changed; then it was gas; then she pooped; then she was over stimulated; then she was hungry again.... or those are the reasons I attribute to her fussiness. Honestly, I don't know but she fussed/cried on and off that whole time. What seems to calm her down is a lot of bouncing and going outside into the fresh air. I'm just so excited that she's sleeping right now and I really really hope that it'll be for a few hours at least.

I've been AWOL for a while because of baby mostly. Until the last few days, she's been an angel throughout the day but come the "witching hour" (usually around 9pm) she seems to know that it's bedtime and just refuses to go to sleep. For the last week or so, only her dad has been able to settle her at night to the point where she can go to sleep. And unfortunately, she's been going down around 11:30pm every night. This makes me sad. :( And of course her first nightly wake-up is around 2am which makes for a very short sleep. Her next wake up though is usually around 5 or 6am which is nice and then around 9am... So it may be just a matter of getting her sleep sorted out eventually.

She is six weeks old today so hopefully things are going to start changing soon... Allegedly (according to alot of the literature I've been perusing as of late) the period of six to eight weeks is the peak of the fussiness in babies, especially when it comes to sleeping, and then it's all downhill from there. I really hope this is true because I get so frustrated when she's inconsolable and just continues to cry and cry and cry.

When she's not crying though, she's an absolute peach. She's gaining more muscle control in her neck and can easily lift her head when she's lying on her stomach. She's also smiling a tonne in her sleep and I think she's smiled at us a few times while awake. They weren't full blown grins though and I don't think she really knew what she was doing, so I'm not really counting them as smiles. :P She's also making some neat cooing noises now and has changed the sound of her cries.

I can't believe it's already been six weeks since I've had her... and I can't believe it's been only six weeks. It seems like she's always been with us.

Of course me being the neurotic person that I am (or obsessive, or whatever) I'm already thinking of what it's going to be like to go back to work for me. I'm really not looking forward to returning to where I work (there have been alot of changes since I've been gone already) and so I've started to browse various employers for work. Isn't that crazy???? Oh well... My two biggest thing that would lead me to changes jobs is pay and benefits. I need to make at least as much as I am now and I need equal or better benefits. The one thing that I don't have right now is a "top up" to maternity leave benefits paid by EI so finding an employer that would help out if I ever go off on mat leave again would be wonderful. That and if I could continue contributing to my OMERS pension... I guess I have a whole year (or almost) to figure this out...

No comments: