Sunday, May 25, 2008

I think I'm Missing Some Brain Cells...

OMG.

I so do not recommend prenatal classes to anyone who has a schmeck and knows something about their own body and has read at least one pregnancy/birthing book. Seriously. This weekend I lost 16 hours sitting in a classroom with my husband and 10 other couples listening to what pretty much added up to a grade 9 health class lecture. It was a complete waste of our time. What's worse, I feel mislead because on the website and the curriculum that was posted it really seemed like we would get a lot more information on natural pain management and postpartum issues such as breastfeeding, etc. Well, the natural pain management techniques pretty much lasted for 2 hours and that included about 30 minutes of practice and postpartum was oh... maybe an hour at the most. I'm very disappointed. I can now tell you in detail about the three stages of labour and the three parts of Stage 1 Labour and I can tell you all about C-Section births and everything else... but honestly - I've already read about all that stuff. Having a facilitator re-teach me everything I've already read is a complete waste of my time and money. At least we got a tennis ball and one certificate (without our names) out of the deal.

Really though, I don't think I'm ever going to waste my money on this again. Maybe something more "advanced" or more specific like a breastfeeding class or something. But definitely not a general prenatal class.

Oh and best of all, there were two doulas-in-training sitting in on the classes and you would think that they would have the courtesy to just observe (like they were supposed to be doing). No.... they always had to pipe in with their two cents and their experiences. Helloooo... you're "in training..." how about letting the facilitator who is an experienced nurse talk?? How about that? It was just irritating.

So, that was my weekend. What a waste.

And such gorgeous weather too!!!

I'm at 27 weeks today - I can't believe that the baby will be here in 13 weeks give or take! The girl who is going to fill part of my mat leave starts work tomorrow and is actually going to shadow me for the majority of the day tomorrow as well. I don't know how I feel about meeting my replacement already. It's a bit weird. That's my own control issues though. I hope she's nice. I don't know her from a hole in the ground but a couple of people that I work with know her on a personal level (not professional) and say she's a bit of an airhead or ditz. So I'm trying to keep an open mind... Really really trying.

I think I'm going to turn in my memo soon outlining my mat leave plans. I really don't know yet when I want to go off but the more I think about it, the more I think I would like 1-2 weeks to myself to veg before the babe arrives. And on the offchance she's early.

So much to think about.

I'm going for my GD testing this Thursday so I have to keep on reminding myself - no more food after 8pm on Wednesday. That's going to suck. :(

No comments: